Thursday, January 3, 2008

What I Learned In 2007 - The Corny Version

Sorry - this one took me a couple of days to write - so much to say - but it was very difficult to describe and put it into words. So forgive me if it sort of jumps around a lot.
God Bless you in the New Year!

On the morning of December 31st, the last day in 2007, I was driving to 'work' thinking about what a hellacious year this has been for me, my girls and unfortunately for many of those around me. But if you ask me to recall the events of this year, the first few things that come to mind are only positive ones. So even though I could pontificate for hours on why 2007 should just be erased from the history books, I am choosing to review how God enabled me to make a whole lot of lemonade in 2007.

Let's just say that 2007 provided me with a true insight of how it must feel to be the loosing opponent of a UFC match. At times I was so emotionally battered that it was tempting to just give in and check myself into the nearest loony bin. Fortunately, I am surrounded by amazing people who instead, helped pick me up, at times, allowed me to lean on them, and then stood by me while I faced my life. And if I have learned anything from this wretched year, it is that God has a plan set to his time table - not mine; but if you are patient and willing to be open to what he is teaching, you will be amazed at what he reveals.

There were a lot of things that he revealed this year - in fact I could write a book on that topic alone, but there was one lesson that he kept throwing in my face over and over again. It was the power of realizing and understanding that people cared about me; that was the most profound gift of all. Knowing that I am loved (I know - it sounds cheesy - but it is true - you have to admit). I have an incredible family that I love and adore, and I have this amazing cocoon of friends that were there for me during my darkest hours on several occasions.

Comprehending that you are loved allows you to focus on the positives in your life and the humor in your life, rather than than beat yourself down with all the bad things that seem to be hitting you at once. My friends saved my life this year.

And God set that all in motion starting years ago. Behind the scenes over the last 3 or 4 years - moving people in AND out of my life. Setting up the 'net' that would catch me when I needed it most. Although painful - he stripped away the negative relationships that would have hindered my growth process.

He then introduced and re-introduced positive influences such as Tammy, my long lost friend from college and Carrie, my sister in combat who has been with me step for step on this journey, and Alicia - my long time friend from High School who brought me back into her circle of friends after my marriage crumbled. She also married this wonderful guy who rescued me from what I would describe as the worst day of my life.

And my family... my Mom & Dad - they have been so extremely supportive, I cannot even describe my gratitude for what amazing people they are. For their support, both financially and emotionally, their love and advice and just listening as I experience what life is all about.

You know, there's a saying that when the chips are down you find out real fast who your friends are. Well in 2007 I God showed me that I am very blessed, because my friends saw me through a very dramatic year. They helped me out in ways they don't even realize - so for that I am thankful for 2007. I never thought I would be saying that until just now.

Wow. I am.

My life has improved so much this year - for the better. My outlook, my understanding, my future has been positively impacted and so for that I must be thankful for 2007. Because without it, I would never have learned to appreciate what a wonderful year 2008 will be.

No comments:

This Madness Called Life

My photo
An insight into the crazy life of a 30-something struggling to rebuild her life and climb her way back to the top.